Reading Time: 2 minutes
OH MY GOD. The new Star Wars The Force Awakens trailer was a veritable feast of nostalgic goodness. From the sweeping shots of the legendary Millennium Falcon engaged in a battle with a TIE fighter through the ruins of what looks like the remnants of a downed Star Destroyer right down to voice over from one of the trilogies original stars, this teaser trailer had everything.
Recently we’ve had teaser trailers for teaser trailers with most of them being rather blah but this new Star Wars The Force Awakens trailer will definitely not be remembered as boring. Although we still have very little idea what is actually happening in the movie who actually cares. Yes many of us were burned by “The Phantom Menace” and the prequels but if this trailer and the first trailer are anything to believe then “The Force Awakens” is beginning to shape up to be a return to what the fandom has wanted since the final credits of “Return of the Jedi”.
So what did we learn from this trailer. Well loads actually.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer breakdown
- The voice over appears to be from Luke Skywalker with us getting a nice call back to the Skywalker family lineage.
- We’re joining the story some period after the supposed fall of the empire but with the number of Storm Troopers visible throughout the trailer it is clear that there is some form of the empire still alive and causing issues in a a galaxy far, far away.
- Our new main cast got some good action shots with Oscar Boyega (Finn), Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) and Daisy Ridley (Rey) all getting a chance to shine.
- Did we get to see more Sith lords this time around? It certainly seems like there is more happening within the empire than we first though as it appears like the Sith might be making a comeback.
- Kylo Ren is featured fleetingly but this time around we get to see his masked face. I am loving how we are being drip fed information on this character which makes the anticipation about the movie even greater.
- I don’t think the phrase “We’re home” will ever be the same again after that last scene featuring the return of everyone’s favorite nerf herding scoundrel. We are of course talking about Han Solo who makes a welcome return to our cinema screens. Not only that but we also get to see Chewie, Chewie is back people and is looking brilliant.
- Personal speaking the one thing I really disliked about the prequel trilogies were how fake they felt due to the cleanness of the films. The original trilogy was a master class in down and dirty film making with a grittiness that made the movies more real. The prequels were definitely missing this. But the force awakes seems to be a return to the practical film making that brought this universe to life for episodes IV, V and V.
Chewie… We’re home.