Reading Time: 2 minutes
Who would want to be in Josh Trank’s shoes? After garnering great critical acclaim for “Chronicle” he was chosen to helm the reboot of “Fantastic Four” but that is where the good news stops. Reports from the set suggested that the movie was over budget, over blown and destined to bomb but in one minute and 55 seconds that may have changed. All because of a little Fantastic Four teaser trailer.
As usual you have to take a trailer with a grain of salt, or four in this case (insert laughter here), but color me surprised. Yes we know that this is a Fox studio movie but Fantastic Four is one of the founding fathers of Marvel comics so for many comic book fans out there this is a franchise that should be churning out movies on a regular basis. This trailer wasn’t what I expected at all. There is a distinct tone that sets it apart from other Marvel / Fox movies released thus far. Less Avengers and more Dark Knight Trilogy which is a great thing as it was beginning to feel like comic book movies were veering slightly, and i do mean slightly, towards Batman and Robin territory.
So what did we learn from the trailer.
Fantastic Four trailer takeaways
- Although not confirmed it does appear that we are getting the Ultimates version of the first family of the Marvel universe. All the actors are young and fit what we have come to know about the characters that were re-established and brought into the modern world by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Millar.
- Josh Trank is about to blow up thanks to this movie and his future Star Wars spinoffs. If his work on Chronicle is anything to go by it will be interesting to see what he can do with a bigger budget in the future.
- Miles Teller and Michael B. Jordan are stars of the future and Fantastic Four could be the movie that brings them to a larger mainstream audience. Both have starred together in That Awkward Moment which showcased their lighter side but each have gone onto show that they have some serious acting chops. Teller is getting rave reviews for his turn in Whiplash and Jordan has also built up a great reservoir of parts since his break out role in “The Wire”.
- Doctor Doom and The Thing, two of the most popular characters from the comic continuity, didn’t appear during the trailer so we still don’t know what they look like which means there is still a certain air of mystery about them. We do know that Doom will be a programmer/blogger who gets mixed up in our heroes story but some eagle eyed viewers have pointed out that Latveria was referenced during the trailer which means we might still get some of his origin story.
- This movie looks four million times better the last two Fantastic Four movies. Here’s hoping that it lives up to its potential.